About Colin Hill Swims
Based in the Lake District, UK, Colin Hill Swims is involved with open water swimming worldwide.
Colin, Director of Colin Hill Swims, is an experienced and visionary open water swimming race organiser. In 2017 Colin was inducted into the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
His experience includes:
- Founder and project manager of the Great Swim series at Nova International (2008 - 2011)
- Technical Operations Manager for the Olympic Games Marathon Swimming, London 2012.
- FINA (World Governing Body) Open Water Consultant 2013 to present.
- Swim Serpentine (London Marathon) Swim Director 2016 to present.
- Technical Operations Manager for Glasgow 2018 European OWS Championships.
- Founder of Swim Secure - open water swimming safety products
- Founder & Director of Chillswim Limited 2012 - 2018
As well as working in open water events Colin 'swims the swim' as is an enthusiastic participant. He is a successful English Channel Soloist - 10hrs 30 mins, completed a two way Windermere Solo and has taken part in many open water races and crossings around the world, including winning a 25km Madeira Swim Race. Colin has been Winter/Ice Swimming World and UK Age Group Champion for 450m & 500m Ice Swimming, and as well as swimming throughout the winter in the UK's Lake District mountain tarns and lakes.
Colin became the first UK male to officially complete the Ice Mile (International Ice Swimming Association).
Colin Hill TV Features:
- Extreme sports Red Bull: Colin takes part in Alpine high altitude cold water swimming physiology testing for German TV (2013)
- River Cottage: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall follows Colin as he trains for a 10k event, closely watching his diet (2011)
- Blue Peter: Presenter Radzi was trained by Colin from novice swimmer to open water swimmer for a televised 1-mile swim in 5 degrees for Sports Relief
- Guardian online: Wild Swimming in Rydal Water with Kate Rew (2008)
- Big Chill Swim filmed for Guardian Website, Telegraph website, North Regional News BBC & ITV (2013 & 2014)
- SAS: Are you Tough Enough (2001) Colin was a participant in this reality TV show and made it through to the final.
- Record Breakers: with Roy Castle 1985 - 15 year old Colin broke world records for 'Kayak Rolling' with the fastest 100 'hand rolls': 2 mins 39 sec. Most continuous kayak rolls - 3700.
Colin Hill TV Commentary
- FINA World Championships, Budapest (2017): TV Broadcast commentator for open water swimming events (worldwide).
Colin Hill Swims Talks, Announcing, and Hosting:
- Red Bull Neptune Steps 2018 & 2019 - Announcer for the extreme open water swimming event
- Kendal Mountain Festival – Host for open water swimming session for three years running
- Wilf’s Café Adventure talk nights (Open Water Swimming)
- RAC Club London (Olympics and Long distance swimming)
- H2Open Day (Olympic Preview)
- FINA World Swimming Conference, Doha
- FINA World Swimming Championships, KAZAN
- Rio, Olympic Games (Open Water Swimming)